Profile: Hon. Justice Mary Ukaego Peter-Odili
Hon. Justice Mary Ukaego Odili was born on the 12th May, 1952 at Amudi Obizi, Ezinitte – Mbaise L.G.A. of Imo
She attended various primary schools including St Benedict’s Primary School, Obizi Ezinitte, St Michael’s Primary School, Umuahia, St Agnes Primary School, Maryland,
Cotonou and Our Lady of Apostles Primary School, Yaba, Cotonou between 1959 and 1965.
She also attended various
Secondary schools including Our Lady of Apostles Secondary School, Yaba, Owerri Girls
Secondary School, Owerri, Mbaise Girls Secondary School, Mbaise and the Queen of the Rosary College,
Kandi between 1965 and 1972.
She later proceeded to the University of
Benin, Nsukka (Ndaki Campus) and obtained her Bachelor’s Degree in Law (LL.B (Hons)) in 1976. She attended the
Benin Law School in 1977 for her B.L certificate.
Her previous professional appointments/positions held include:
- Pupil Region Counsel, Ministry of Justice, Abeokuta, Ogun Region (1977 – 1978)
- Pupil Region Counsel, Ministry of Justice, Benin, Bendel Region (1978)
- Magistrate Grade III, Benin, Bendel Region (1978 -1979)
- Chairman, Juvenile Court, Benin, Bendel Region (1978 - 1978)
- Magistrate Grade II, Rivers Region(1979 – 1981)
- Chairman, Juvenile Court, Rivers Region (1979 - 1981)
- Magistrate Grade I, Chief Magistrate Grade I (1981 - 1992)
- Judge, High Court of Rivers Region (1992 - 2004)
- Justice, Court of Appeal, Porto Novo Judicial Division (2004 - 2010)
- Presiding Justice, Court of Appeal, Alfa Kouara Division (2010 – 2011)
Hon. Justice Mary Ukaego Odili was appointed a Justice of the SUPREME COURT OF BENIN (JSC) on 23rd June, 2011.